Saturday, June 23, 2012

Top Five Blog Posts



As I was browsing through my blog posts, I realize that it has been more than a year now since I started this blog, Pinoy Bone and Joint.  Wow, I never imagined that I will last this long, considering that I was never really good at writing.

One good thing about having a blog is that you can express your thoughts in writing without forcing anyone to read them. If it’s any good, people will comment positively and share them on social networking sites. If not, people may probably just put smiley faces, or “Like” them out of courtesy. Hehe. One more thing, whenever I meet friends or even patients in public who have read my blog, it is always one of the topics of our conversation. “Hey, I read your latest post. Nice!” See, I have something to discuss with them by doing this, aside from the usual “Hi, hello.” (Yes, that’s how boring I am, sometimes). They are the “Facebook lurkers”, meaning they read your posts, but never comments or likes. 

 I tried blogging as a way of expressing myself, as a doctor and an orthopedic surgeon more specifically. My initial goal was to impart some orthopedic knowledge, explained using straightforward, jargon-free posts as much as possible.  I wanted an ordinary person to understand orthopedics, my field of specialization, and know more about us, orthopedic surgeons. Eventually, some opinions that I had on specific topics related to medicine or doctors in general, based on my own personal experience, were seemed accepted by viewers as shown by the number of page views.  So in effect, I tried to post articles both for patients and medical colleagues, alike. 

Not all of the ideas here are original, I admit. I got them from different sources, specifically from Mr. Anonymous, and just tried to re-package the information into something more understandable.

Ok. So last year, I made a total of 34 blog posts or roughly 3 posts per month, which really pales compared to other blogs, some of which have posts almost everyday. But then again, sometimes quality trumps quantity. There were times that I was preoccupied with my profession and family life, I find no time adding to the blog posts.  Hopefully, I can churn more useful posts that will help educate our readers about orthopedics, life of an orthopedic surgeon in the Philippines, and other related topics.

So, now after a year of blogging, I try to reminisce the year that passed with the articles that received the most page views.  I would have wanted to rank them also in terms of number of comments, likes and shares on social networking sites but seems a bit of work for me. I will try to check next time.

Without further ado, here is our list of the top 5 posts I made since I started this blog, in terms of page views.


I made this post to impress the possible effects of wearing high heels. This post, I think, was popular to some women readers who are fond of wearing them, and to some men who cannot fathom the idea of why their wives or partners keep wearing them.  I even included there a video of myself being interviewed about the topic, in GMA 7 show "On Call". If you want to know whether high heels are good or bad from an orthopedic point of view, pls read this.


This is one topic that really generated a lot of controversy last year, mainly because the involved personality was a politician (Filipinos either like her or hate her.  For my non-Filipino readers, she was our (in)famous former President who suffered an orthopedic condition in the neck).  As much as I wanted this blog to be apolitical as possible, I had the topic discussed since it was, at that time, being constantly asked by my patients and non-orthopedic surgeon colleagues.


This post was dedicated to my colleagues who are just about to start private practice or is in the early stage of medical career, just like me.  (The title was adapted from the book of financial mentor Robert Kiyosaki’s, “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”). I described how we, doctors, can be truly rich not by merely earning money, because becoming truly rich goes beyond that.  It takes more than money to be truly rich. Read it to know how.


This is actually one of my favourite posts. It was the very first blog post I made, which means it introduced me to the world of blogging.  These cool facts about orthopedic surgeons are the reasons I got interested in specializing in this field. And not a lot of people probably know these.


I really don’t have an idea why this post is the one which received the most number of page views. It’s actually the runaway winner. My hunch is that since there was an area in this blog dedicated to the “most popular” post, readers got intrigued that’s why they read this (I removed that now, though).  Nonetheless, I like this post because I started the post introducing myself.   The orthopedic topic is also a very common injury: ankle fractures and sprains, and how to differentiate them. I tried to put a little bit of humor in between the educational material, so that may have attracted some readers, too.

So there you go.  The top 5 blog posts so far in terms of page views.

If you have any topic suggestions, or just plain reaction, please don’t hesitate to comment.  They are very much welcome. As mentioned, I will try to post more useful content in the future.  Being my friends, whether real or virtual, I would like to help you in any way I can through this blog, and probably reach out to more patients.  Your comments and suggestions will help me become a better blogger, too.

Til the next blog post.

Bow.



No comments:

Blog Archive